The purpose of the Zoning Hearing Board is to help assure fair and equitable application and administration of the Zoning Ordinance by hearing appeals of the Zoning Administrator’s decisions and by granting relief from the literal enforcement of the ordinance in certain hardship situations. Since the board has no legislative power, it can neither make nor modify zoning policy. It is a quasi-judicial body, that is, its powers are to a great extent judicial in nature and is acknowledged as a first step in the judicial system. Appeals from its decisions may be taken to the County Court of Common Pleas. The Board schedules hearings on applications and appeals that come before it, takes evidence, and issues written decisions or findings of fact. Its hearings are public and formal with testimony being taken under oath and all proceedings recorded by a court stenographer.
The Zoning Hearing Board is comprised of three members appointed by the Board of Supervisors. Each Zoning Hearing Board Member is appointed for a three-year term and so fixed that the term of one member shall expire each year.
To view a Zoning Hearing Board Agenda or Decision click here
The Zoning Hearing Board (ZHB) meets the fourth Thursday of the month at 7:00 PM unless no submissions are received.
- Submit an application for a Zoning and Building Permit. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- The Zoning Officer will review the application for compliance. A Zoning Permit is denied because in the opinion of the Zoning Officer, the matter should come before the Zoning Hearing Board or is an illegal use under the provision of the Ordinance.
- Complete a Zoning Hearing Board Application for an Appeal. The fee shall be made payable to Hanover Township. The fee is applied to advertising, legal fee, court stenographer costs and other costs associated with the public hearing. (Additional cost are the responsibility of the applicant)
- Applications must be submitted 30-days prior to the next scheduled Zoning Hearing Board meeting. The Zoning Hearing Board (ZHB) meets the fourth Thursday of every month at 7:00 PM unless other wise noted. (The Zoning Hearing Board does not meet on Holidays)
- The appeal is advertised in the Express Times two (2) times, not less than seven (7) days or more than thirty (3) days before the hearing. Adjacent property owners within 500-feet from the property on the same street and within 100-feet on other streets are notified and the applicants’ property is posted with a copy of the legal notice.
- The ZHB has 45 days to render a decision to the applicant. The applicant will receive a zoning permit for the request upon payment of required fees if the request is granted. The applicant may appeal to the Court of Common Pleas if the request is denied.
Select Zoning Hearing Board Application to view and print out an application form.
The completed application and payment is to be submitted to the Zoning Officer, Hanover Township Office at 3630 Jacksonville Rd, Bethlehem PA 18017. Contact the Zoning and Building Permit Department if you have any questions. 610. 866.1140.