A Resale Certificate is required for both Residential and Commercial Properties.
- Complete and submit an Application.
- Application shall be made within ten (10) business days from the date the property is listed for sale or the seller enters into an agreement of sale with a purchaser, which ever is sooner.
- Applicant, if not the owner shall provide a “Power of Attorney” or a “Short Certificate” from Northampton County Register of Wills.
- Submit application with appropriate FEE(s) to: HANOVER TOWNSHIP, 3630 JACKSONVILLE ROAD, BETHLEHEM, PA 18017
- Schedule an inspection. Call 610-866-1140, ext. 226. Inspections will be conducted Monday thru Friday between the hours of 9:00 am and 1:00 pm.
- Inspection Report will be mailed to the the Seller.
Inspection Requirements are based on the Hanover Township Zoning Ordinance and PA Uniform Construction Code as reference in the International Property Maintenance Codes.
Hanover Township Resale Ordinance 10-1, Effective July 1, 2011
- Do I need to comply with the new Ordinance if my property is currently listed for sale and is not yet under agreement? Yes, all properties currently listed for sale and those that will be transferred on or after July 1, 2010, are required to have an inspection and a valid Certificate of Occupancy.
- I have a vacant lot that I am selling, do I need a resale inspection?
No, a vacant building lot is exempt from this ordinance.
- I buying a house “as is” that requires repair, will I be able to live in the house until repairs are complete?
Unless the structure is tagged “unsafe for occupancy” or “habitable repairs necessary”, you can live in the house on a Conditional Occupancy. However, the buyer must provided a notarized statement acknowledging that you have received a copy of the Inspection Report and that you will begin to abate the violations within sixty (60) days from taking possession and full abatement of the violations shall be made within eighteen (18) months after taking possess of the property.
- I have received a Resale Certificate, does the it expire?
Yes, a Resale Certificate expires one year from the date it is issued. If ownership doesn’t transfer in one-year, an additional inspection is required and a new Resale Certificate will be issued after a favorable inspection.